Jan 10, 2011

Entry 180 - Facebook Will Shutdown On 15th March?

Dear blog,

Here's a good breaking news! Facebook will be shutting down by 15th March.


Mark Zuckerberg said:

"Facebook has gotten out of control".

"...and the stress of managing this company has ruined my life. I need to put an end to all the madness."

 Avrat Humarthi, VP of Technical Affairs at Facebook said:
"So if you ever want to see your pictures again, I recommend you take them off the internet. You won’t be able to get them back once Facebook goes out of business."

First thing first. Let's review of how Facebook revolutionizes our lives.

  1. We get to trace back our friends, whether it's from our primary school, up to university, and even in the workplace.
  2. We get to update things that we do in our daily lives. Think of Twitter but in a rich and detail information (text, image, video).
  3. We get to see immediate response from our friends (or friends of friends). It's either a 'Like' or no 'Like' at all. Or comments on our posts.
  4. We get to upload photos and videos without worrying the bandwidth capacity, unlike Flickr which capped our free account up to 200 photos.
  5. Hey, 'Poke' feature! Who use this anyway?
  6. Events on Facebook, birthday reminder.
And the list will somehow goes on and on. Seriously, who would imagine that things would be this awesome with Facebook? It's so popular, even the bosses in corporate companies or even politician also have Facebook. Or perhaps people who ought to go out on a blind date, are able to check for their partners personality just by searching for the name or email.


So what? Is this true? Although there's a certain extent to which I might believe it, there are also part which make this news, illogical. Mark had been awarded as 2010 Time's Person of The Year, for his invention  that revolutionize the way people communicate (although according to The Social Network, it's not his invention, but more to reinvention of an idea). Why would he wants to shutdown Facebook? He's doing the whole mankind a great deed, and I'm sure somewhere people are worshipping him as a God of Social Network or something. Even if the news is true, there's no way things will go downwards. People may change, but technology will always advances forward by itself. If Facebook is to disappear from this Earth, I think it would change shape into a new form. Perhaps a more refined version of Facebook that offers more interesting things (but hey, it's just a thought). Plus, a hoax will be a hoax, if there's no official statements from the official people/company. There's no announcement on Facebook denying the possibility of shutting it down (I heard recently that Zuckerberg made a comment on the issue, saying that it is untrue). There you go.

But what if Facebook will really shut down? Resort back to Friendster? MySpace? Or wait for more social networks to bloom out, in hope to replace the Great Facebook?


Well whatever it is folks, I must say that if it does shut down, it will be really hard to trace all my friends online. I can't possibly save each emails of 500+ friends in one go. And I can't possibly delete all the photos. "Dude, I have like thousands of photos on Facebook! OMG! What should I do?" And I wonder, if this is true, Mark will surely sell all of our information to the highest bidder. Why? People want our information for mostly anything related to advertising, security, terrorism, and so on. Wait for the cue.... OMG!!


Phew. I'm clueless on what to do. Should I make the first move in deleting all the information and photos on Facebook, and wait for the apocalypse? Or should I ignore it, in hope of becoming another practical joke of the decade?

Okay, I had enough. I will go to sleep now. My lectures will start on next morning. Maybe I will Facebooking during the lecture :)

4 comments:

Monty said...

You are too stupid to belive that a $50 billion company will shutdown in two months because its becoming hard to manage for being too succesful????

Dont spread the HOAX, think first and research before humiliating yourself.

Unknown said...

I think you misunderstood my entry here. I'm not spreading the hoax. You're just too fast judging this writing. I'm simply writing on the basis of an 'if' situation.

If I did spread a hoax, you're just too stupid as well for not reading the whole thing.

P/s: Don't get mad for a writing which won't affect you :P

Monty said...

IF you are not spreading the hoax, you should not post that news, and let it die instead.

Unknown said...

I guess I have to say, this is my blog, and I have my own right to do anything I like. And if you're so concern with advising bloggers like me in writing anything (which I believe is just to quote the news), you can go all around on the web and comment on every single post about Facebook closing soon (which we all now, is just a bluff on the net).

That's the beauty of a blog. People discuss, not condemn.