Aug 29, 2009

Entry 125 - Career Talk

Dear blog,

It has been a long time I managed myself to open my blog and write something for it. Probably I'm procrastinating with myself on what to write, or when to write. You know, God gives us 24 hours to work on anything that we wished we want to do, but it falls back on us to find the time. Maybe, I'm not good with managing with my own time. And you guys know me, having trouble with completing with assignments is always a common thing for me.

Okay, enough of blabbering with my own pathetic story, let's move on to what I had these few days (or week?) ago. On August 21, Wellington UMNO Club organized Career Talk and Tabung Amal Ramadhan events at The Basement cafe in Student Union Building at Kelburn Campus, VUW (that's where I'm studying). So, the talk is all about different paths that undergraduate like us can choose with the available degrees that we are undertaking it (with hard and undeniably strong effort). There were four speakers which came from different areas of profession: Accounting, Military, Education, and Nano Technology. I forgot the names but they were awesome! It's a good speech and even if I'm opt to be a teacher later, I got new information on different careers' pathways (it's good for the students right?).

Anyway, I'm the person responsible for setting up the projectors, PA system and some technical stuffs. There were some horrifically embarrassing and frustrating moments dealing with these technology. It can either make your life better, or make it worse. The projector can't resize the displayed image as large as it can. Crappy projector, I thought any projector can do that these days. The PA system were working fine at the beginning. Loud and clear. One of the hand-signalled message I got form the heaps at the rear part of the area. But soon, the sound from the speaker get softer and then, none can hear what the soft-spoken lady which were talking about Nano Technology. I kept turning the volume until it reached the maximum, and check the wiring connections. But damn, it did not work. Crowd were getting restless as the sweats were broking down from my forehead. When it reached to the Education lady (Missus, you're great!), at the peak of her speech, the speaker blasted everyone with high pitched shriek. Yeah, a shriek! You ever watched sci-fi movie where a guy shoot at an enemy with sound wave and soon the enemy flew away? That's is what I felt, especially since I'm among the closest person in front of the speaker. And I was petrified for three seconds (okay, I didn't count that up with my fingers). Softly I ran to the speaker and phew, it came back to normal.

Apart from that technical problems, everything were okay. And those who come can get to eat free Briyani rice. Yeah, we love free food! But I didn't eat at all since I feel like I need to tidy up the place earlier compared to others who were eating and leaving the place. I am wise man after all, because I kept three packs of the meal *wink wink*. It's for Nisrin, one of my friend who can't make it to the talk. Two were for me (one for during the talk, and one for sahur for the first day of Ramadhan). When I said I am a wise man, it turns out wrong. I didn't get the chance to eat the rice because I was very tired with cleaning up the place. There went my meals away. So, August 22, is the first day of Ramadhan! Happy fasting everyone!

Click HERE to see more photos on this day.

No comments: