After a week disappearing from the school for a mid-practicum briefing session in IPGKBA, I noticed that my students were eager to see me. Honestly, my heart was beating very fast and I can’t stop smiling. Perhaps this is what they call, the sweetness of teaching. I believe a teacher is supposed to touch the heart of the kids, and always in the memory of the teacher. I hope that one day as I leave the school, my name will not be forgotten by the students. I had seen my mother who is now a pensioner, and still her students are looking for her and always asking her out. I can’t wait to have that same feeling too. Imagine having students who are ignorant to you and don’t even care of your existence in the class and also their lives. That is just pathetic to me. Compare this to a teacher who is always loved by the students. Which one of these teachers that anyone would want to be?
A teacher must make his or her presence seen. Simply said, if you have a class, always make sure to enter it. Never be late to the class because anything bad might happen if you are not in the class. Kids being kids, they are still immature at times, and who knows when you leave the class for five minutes, disasters might happen. I had witnessed students from other classes smacked the chair until it was broken, and the thought of it might hurt the students gave me such worry. Hence, a teacher must always be at his or her designated classes on time or earlier than that to ensure the safety of the students.
In addition, I found that students appreciate you more when you sacrifice things to ensure you are in the class. On previous Wednesday, I had a terrible headache due to the heat, especially in Ramadan where people are fasting. In the morning, I had tough time deciding whether to go to school or not. I thought I would take a medical leave. However, I realised that I might be troubling other teachers to replace my class, and missed a chance to see the students. I went instead to the school and entered the classes, and explained to students that I had terrible headache. Still, the lesson went on as usual. The students as I observed, were behaving properly, and not causing any disruptive behaviours. I know myself that these students are trying to be nice to me, and I believe they felt appreciated for all the trouble I went through just to be inside their classes.
Day by day, week by week, I am enjoying a life as a teacher. Of course, I am not yet certified 100% to be a teacher, but throughout this experience, I can’t wait to be called a teacher with the right license. Why? I love being in the school and becoming a teacher for the students and also being a person who they can look forward for advices or role model. I must strive harder to become a competent teacher who can guide and provide students with a wider perspective of future lives.

No comments:
Post a Comment