Aug 16, 2011

Weekly Reflection Practicum (Week 03-12)

This week saw me in an observation for the first time. What do I have to say? There’s a big room for improvements in my teaching. Although teachers can try to say that they know their classes better than anyone, sometimes it takes one with more experience to notice things that you do not see. Hence, this brings me back to a fact. Mentors in school are not there to smile at you all day long. They are superiors in knowledge and experience in handling lessons in that particular environment. Teachers are also like peach tree. The longer it stands, the sweeter the fruits can be. More wisdoms are stored, more techniques that can be used. I decided that for the next time, it is best to check with them about my lesson plans. Not only I can see how a lesson plan can be developed realistically, but also the techniques that can be used to cater to the students of the levels that they know.
 
I also volunteered to become the supervising teacher for the first bus to take students from the school to a stadium in Selayang for the school’s Sports Day. Before 6.15 a.m., I was there at the school to get ready for everything. However, to handle 50 students can be really tough, especially when there are cases students who want to run away from going to the stadium. As for me who went with the first bus, other teachers asked my help to bring all sort of things. I agreed to that, and found myself in complete chaotic situation. I had to manage 50 student to get onto the bus, gave them the coupons for their meal and lucky draws, carrying boxes with drinking water and poles for the banners. Then, I realized that I do have friends that I can disperse the tasks. We need to be smart as well when it comes to accepting the tasks. After all, when a work is done collaboratively, it will be completed sooner.

The longer I stay in the school, the more love I have in this profession. This is because, I am getting more accustomed to the students and they are able to work well with me, well, for some cases. There is still a class which I could not handle well, due to their inattentive behaviour. I am the kind of a teacher that does not like to scold others, because I deemed that they heard that a lot more and I would like to change their perspective on learning, not basing on fear itself. However, to change this class response to me, may take some time. I shall try different methods with them later.

No comments: