Aug 16, 2011

Weekly Reflection Practicum (Week 01-12)

This week saw me doing nothing much in the school and classroom, except that to get to know how the school works, location of the classrooms, who are English subject teachers, where can I use the photocopy service, and much more. Being in the school is, to me, nostalgia to me. I saw how the students in the school are running around and acting in all kinds of behaviours. Then I realized that we as educators have a very pertinent role in lighting the spark for the students to pursue the highest possible dream for them. I know that the students’ socio-economic status in the surrounding area of the school is either low or middle-income, but I do not see it as a hindrance for them to look even further into the future. I believe it is my call as a teacher, to facilitate them to that path.

I also learnt that it is important to develop professional relationship with other teachers in the school. This does not limit to only teachers from the same subject that we are going to teach. I found it relaxing and conforming to know that other teachers are also facing the same situation like me. Being not alone and sharing the same gain and pain, that is when unity can be formed. If a colleague is not happy with you, I bet that many undesired things can occur and jeopardized myself. The best path is to be nice to everyone in the school. In this way, I noticed that other teachers are also being nice to me and they do share a lot of stories about the school, which in the end, provide us with much meaningful information.

It cannot be doubted that as a teacher, the task does not only come with teaching alone. Being an educator in the school, I found out that we are also disciplinary enforcer, and a role model for the students. I also believe that by providing students with good moral support, they will be able to become a better person who can function well in the society. As I recall in one of my class, when I asked the students of what they will do when they become rich, most of them answered to either donate to orphanage or bring their parents to perform Hajj. These are noble intentions, and I sincerely respect them for having that ambition. I also praised them and encouraged them to do that in the future, since they are always people who are living in a much poorer condition compared to us. In addition, being a role model also means that we have to portray ourselves as a person with high integrity and respectful of time. I suppose this is true especially when we are about to enter into the classroom. I made a habit of myself to come to the class 5 minutes earlier so I can immediately enter the class when my teaching period comes. This way, I will also be able to ensure the safety of students in the classroom.

Being a teacher also means that we are bound to clerical task such as keeping attendance of the students, and organizing co-curricular activities for the school. I had been given a chance to lead two ‘dances’ (Poco-Poco and Chicken Dance) during the 1Murid 1Sukan launching on last Saturday. I believe that through this event, I will be able to better known to the students and other teachers that, I am a ‘can-do’ person. I believe that these exposures will make a teacher not only a teacher, but a wholesome educator.


No comments: