Mar 31, 2009

Entry 048 - Ask, and I Shall Give You One.

Dear blog,

It has always amazed me to observe how us humans, behave to a certain extent it would annoyed other people. For me, there are moments in which I would define as a head boiling moment, which is when a person that you know suddenly took something from you without telling you first. Why this is an issue for me? Born as a single child, I am not used to share my belongings with the others. In addition, it has always been my policy not to take others’ possessions without telling them. These are the moment of my experience, retold to you in hope it will make you realize with some reasons not to do so.

Reflect to the time when you are once a kid, the time when your friends around the neighbourhood would just take whatever you have without telling you first. For an instance, a bicycle. I was eight years old, a year of innocence. I was asked by my mother to go to the shop to buy groceries for her. When I reached the garage to take my bicycle, I was horrifically surprise to see it was gone. “Oh God, Mom’s going to kill me!” That is what I had thought. I searched around for it, holding high hope to find it soon before she gets to know. As time flows away, surrender seems much easier. In my mind, I was thinking I would end up with a smack on my bottom for letting it gone missing. When I was about to utter some words to her, a distant, recognisable voice keep calling my name. I went out, and “GOSH!” That was my first word after seeing my friend was standing in front of my house with my bicycle, totally broken in half at the handle’s joint. What is more frustrating is that I bought it with the money that I had saved for a long time, and to see his face, smiling guiltily. Broke it for a simple reason, to crash a coconut tree with an ‘invincible’ bicycle that he claimed was his, to his other friends. From that moment, I came to a concession not to give or let other people borrow anything from me especially it is expensive.

Once you had experienced that, there will be a moment that will be the same in the future, except that it came with a new start. When I was 18 years old, I become a public speaking representative from my collage to participate in a national intercollegiate sport gathering. I was there for two weeks, which gave me ample of time to get to know other people too from other college. Since my event only happened on the first day, I had nothing to do except to walk around and see other people’s matches. Apart from that, cafeteria seems to be my favourite pit stop. There, I would always sat and chatted with new friends. Getting to know new people will always be nice, but one event totally kills my respect for a person that I newly know. It happened when on one fine day at the cafeteria, during the time I was about to have my first meal. When I wanted to grab my glass to drink, suddenly a hand snatched it away, directing it to his mouth. It was him, a new person that I knew there. Just imagine, how piss I am at that time? I ‘lectured’ him for about half an hour until he cried in front of everyone in the cafeteria. The next day, people keep badmouthing me. I was terribly annoyed and shocked to see how people would go that far to defend himself, as if I am the bad person for defending what is right to me.

Even when I am approaching adulthood, this issue does happen no matter what, and where. During the time I was at my second college, I was living in a room with a roommate. Certain times, we will be going to shop for groceries together. At first, everything seems normal. Somehow, to the end of the week, I realized some of my breads were missing. Spying from time to time, I caught my roommate red handed. To know that someone that is close to me would stole something from me is always heart breaking since it was just about foods. I do not understand why it is hard for people to be straight with me.

Tell me. Is it hard or shameful to request something from me? Will it deteriorate your coolness by asking? Morality of a person is not judged by what he does and solely based on his own mind, but it would be based on society’s perspective, the one that we are living in. In which society that such manner would be accepted and allow us to live in fear and stress as well? To avoid such complication, please, think about what you are going to do, so that it will not hurt other people’s feelings. It never hurt to ask. Though such experiences did not just stop there, I had learned to be wiser in choosing friends and to be selective to lend my stuffs to others. However, one advice for everyone, always respect others and their belongings too, since sometimes certain stuffs are earned by sacrifices.