Oct 3, 2009

Entry 140 - A Trip To Wellington Botanical Garden

Dear blog,

I decided to go to the Botanical Garden this afternoon (October 3rd) to see tulips as I couldn't go last week during the Tulips Festival. It is not far from my place and accessible by cable car, which happens to be one of Wellington's attraction. These are some of the photos that I took. If you want to see a bigger version of these photos, please visit the link here. If you decide to use the photos, please inform me and ensure to give proper credit to me. Please enjoy the photos below, and if you feel to comment on anything, please do so. Happy viewing.

"Flowers seem intended for the solace of ordinary humanity".
Quoted from John Ruskin





Note for myself and other photographer: For me, I would love to have a macro lens as it will enable me to take a closer detail.of any subjects specially when it comes to the flowers. Most of the photos were taken with my 50mm F1.4, at ISO 100 and using aperture mode at F 1.4 to isolate the background and the subject, as this will bring put greater emphasize on the subject, which is the flower. A F1.4 to F 2.8 is okay for such effect. A friend of mine asked me how to make the movement of the waterfall not to be 'frozen'. Well, just use the shutter mode and select a longer shutter speed such as 1/4 or 1/8. If you camera has a stabilizing function, make sure to turn that on unless if you're using a monopod or tripod. Oh yeah, when photographing small flowers, which can be easily shaken by the wind (which is a normal occurance in Wellington), make sure to use continous autofocusing if you have such mode. If you are doing it manually, it's better to use a faster shutter speed at higher ISO such as ISO 400 and wait for the wind to smooth down and just press the shutter realse button.

I know that these tips are so common you can find out in any photography magazines, but hey, it is best to share this knowledge with everyone. If you happen to know other techniques or tips, I would love to hear that as well. Thanks for viewing and do comment if you feel like asking or anything!

4 comments:

adzuan aziz said...

beli la macro.haha.rindu siot ngn 50mm.mkin hebat gambar.salute2.dah tak upload flickr ke skng?

Unknown said...

Ooi banyak duit aku nk bli macro ni hahahah. 50mm ssh guna, tapi effect best. nnt if dpt 100mm macro, confirm hari2 aku bw camera smpai ke dlm lecture pun aku bwk hahaha. flickr br upload ja. besa la. flickr tu last skali aku wat.

zz said...

u've got great deal of nice piccas there!

Unknown said...

ZZ: Thanks, ZZ. I guess you're from IPBA and went to UK? Have fun there and make sure to explore every place possible. I wanted to go to UK but I got Wellington, but I'm satisfied. Take care.

Izzy: Aik, gmbr lawa pun benci plak? Pening aku hahahha. Ala, gf nak dtg dah nnt. Apa kata, ko n poqi gi bersiar-siar di botanical garden tu. Ada bukit dengan rumput segar, try bergolek ala2 hindustan tu. I dah try, best, tp pening. Tipu ar Bollywood tu, pusing2 mcm xde apa jadi.